The Magic of Africa


I took this picture of an elephant from an open-air safari vehicle in Kapama Game Reserve, Hoedspruit, South Africa.
I’ll never forget the first time I visited a game reserve in Africa.  I flew from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit, a tiny airport near Krueger National Park.  We were the only plane at the airport.  We deboarded onto the tarmac, walked through the small building to the other side, and were warmly greeted by the 3 Kapama Private Game Reserve park rangers who had come to transport our group of 17 from the airport to Southern Camp, one of 4 accommodations within the Kapama reserve.  After retrieving our luggage curbside, we divided ourselves among 3 open air safari vehicles and set off for Kapama.

 
Capturing a giraffe drinking water is uncommon.  I took this picture on one of our safari drives in Kapama.
As it turned out, the entrance to the grounds of Kapama, a 15,000 acre reserve, is literally across the street from the airport.  The gate opens, and we begin the 15 minute or so drive  along dirt roads to reach Southern Camp.  Not 5 minutes after entering the park, I could not believe my eyes.  A giraffe gracefully stood to the side of the road, towering over treetops and looking down at us.  Then and there, I realized my dream in coming to Africa.  Of course, I had seen giraffes before, in zoos, but there is something indescribably magical about seeing your first indigenous large African animal in its natural environment.  It is a thrill that will remain with me forever.

In the days that followed, we saw many more giraffes.  We also saw all of the Big 5 - elephants, lions, leopards, rhinos, and cape buffalo.  As a bonus to all that, though, was the idyllic landscapes and the incomparable sunsets we experienced.  It leaves me longing to return.


The African sunsets are amazing! I took this picture of our group at sunset in Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa.

If you’ve always wanted to experience Africa, visit our website.  Then, email me, or give me or one of my colleagues a call.  We will design an African experience unique to you. 

Comments